Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Staying Connected

When the kiddo was in pre-school, I began including daily notes with her lunch. Not only did this serve as a reminder that I was thinking about her, it also provided an opportunity to strengthen her reading skills.

Fast forward to 3rd grade. I continue to pack lunch notes a few times each week. I've told her that on days when she doesn't find a note, I've blown kisses into her lunchbox. Sappy, but it works for us. On lunch note days, one of the first things she says when I pick her up is, "I liked the note today!"

I want the extra special people in my life to know that they are always on my mind. So I also keep in touch daily with my...
Hubs: texting little love darts a few times a day,
Baby Bro: snarky random emails to make each other laugh,
BFF: hilarious no-holds barred online chats or phone calls,
Parentals: nightly phone calls that give me & the kiddo a chance to recount the day's adventures with them.

A few minutes each day is all it takes to keep us feeling connected. After moving from the San Francisco Bay Area to Los Angeles 5 years ago, I initially felt quite isolated. I was angry at the heat, angry at the traffic, and angry at my homesickness. Developing these daily check-ins kept me going through that rough patch. What's better than sharing a daily dose of laughter & good wishes with your family and friends?

2 comments:

Kailey Pondella said...

You are an amazing writer! I am excited to read all of your upcoming posts!

p.s. love your background textile!

RedNailsOverD-Cups said...

You are amazing!
I love you sister/friend!
<3
B